I was recently asked for the names of some apps to support literacy and letter awareness. Of course there are many ways to help children develop these skills and the iPad is just one method but it is an engaging tool in the toolbox for literacy learning.
My criteria in choosing the list below were:
- Hairy Letters (Nessy Learning Ltd) – $5.99 (Anything by Nessy is great!)
- Phonics Under the Big Top (Celeste Musgrave ) – $2.99
- Phonics Read CVC (Joe Scrivens) – $2.99 or in a bundle with other apps for $5.99
- Hairy Words (Nessy Learning Ltd) – $5.99
There are two bundles of phonics and sight word apps which are excellent.
- Tools for Teaching Reading (Reading Doctor) – $129.99 for the bundle of 6, $24.99 each
- OzPhonics (DSP Learning Pty Ltd) – $7.99 for the bundle, $1.99 or $2.99 each.
- School Writing (demografix pty ltd) – $7.99 (Uses Australian states’ handwriting fonts)
- iWriteWords (gdiplus) – lite or $4.49
- Little Writer Pro (Innovative) – $2.99
- Ready to Print (Essare LLC) – $14.99
Most of these have an Australian or English voice which is probably less confusing for Australian children than an American voice.
Photo credit: By Intel Free Press [CC BY-SA 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons